History of North Shore United Methodist Church
Late in 1909, a small group of residents from Glencoe, Ravinia and Hubbard Woods formed a Methodist congregation and for five years met in what was then the Glencoe Women’s Library Club on the northwest corner of Hazel and Greenleaf Avenues. [Insert historical pictures]
By 1913, the congregation had outgrown its temporary meeting place and also changed its official name from the Glencoe Methodist Church to the North Shore Methodist Church. The church accepted from William A. Fox the gift of a lot across the street and plans were made for a church building to meet the growing needs.
The main sanctuary building was dedicated in 1915, a Tudor edifice designed to fit into the residential setting of the Village. The home next door was built in 1926 by William A. Fox to match the church and was later purchased at a discount for use as a parsonage in 1945. A one‐story education wing was added in 1948 and further expanded in 1963. A major renovation project was completed in 1999 and included substantial upgrades and refurbishing as well as adaptation to maximize building accessibility. A new Buzard pipe organ was installed in 2002.
A 1968 merger with the national Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church brought about the current name of the North Shore United Methodist Church. The church draws its membership from many different communities. There have been a number of pastors who have served the congregation in the tradition of Methodist itinerancy.
The women’s group has been active through the years serving many community needs as well as conducting an annual rummage sale. The church also conducts various outreach projects including the Good News soup kitchen and Habitat for Humanity. The Sunday School for children was formed in 1910 and has thrived over the years, conducting annual Christmas pageants and undertaking service projects and educational endeavors.